We released Jaye Wells’ new urban fantasy novel SILVER-TONGUED DEVIL (UK/ANZ/US) this month, and to celebrate that and the fact that there’s a lot of love in the team at Orbit for all urban fantasy heroines, we’ve created a quiz to give you the chance to test your knowledge against us!
Can you guess which urban fantasy heroines said the quotes below? If you recognize one, comment with the quote number and the name of the leading lady who said it. Try to be the first to correct them! No Google search, because it’s just cheating!
We had a lot of fun creating these quotes, and we hope you have fun guessing too. . .
- “I took another thing to bed with me, a stuffed penguin named Sigmund. I don’t sleep with him often, just once in a while after someone tries to kill me.
- (“What’s up, homies?”) I stared at the hairless cat for a moment. “What’s up, pals? You’ve watched MTV again, haven’t you? ” (“Word.”)
- “If the Apocalypse is coming, beep me.”
- “It kinda looks like what a vampire bar would look like if it were a ride at Disney World.”
- “Another werewolf thing. Like most animals, we have spent much of our lives following the three Fs of basic survival. Feed, fight and… reproduce.
- “She’s a millennial vampire who joined the cheerleading team. There’s a whole different set of rules at play here.
- “So here’s the plan. I’ll get us tickets to New Orleans, we’ll go save the world from abstract evil, and then we’ll hang out in the French Quarter for a few weeks and let off steam.
- “I was dragged through hell, betrayed by my god, left in Jersey and ended up nearly drowned by a demon with a bad haircut.”
- “Lycans are allergic to silver. We have to get the bullets out quickly, otherwise they will end up dying on us during the interrogation. (“What happens to them next?”) “We put the balls back.”
- “So, in the sweltering heat of a July night, I sang a Christmas carol in a room full of fairies, who had been driven from their homeland by the Christians and their swords of cold iron.”
“But the next noise to echo through the room was one I was pretty sure I recognized. It was the unmistakable sound of shit hitting the fan.
Hint: There are TV heroines, movies, and novels, both Orbit books and non-Orbit books.
EDIT: Today is January 26, 2012 and we provide the answers to this quiz, here they are now. . .
1. Anita Blake, from Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake novels, Vampire Hunter. 2. Sabina Kane (and Giguhl), the vampire (and demon/cat sidekick) from Jaye Wells’ Sabina Kane series. 3. Buffy Summers, by Joss Whedon Buffy the Vampire Slayer. 4. Sookie Stackhouse, from the TV series true blood, based on novels by Charlaine Harris. 5. Elena Michaels, the werewolf from Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld novels. 6. Elena Gilbert, from the TV series The Vampire Diariesbased on novels by LJ Smith. 7. Jayné Heller, from the MLN Hanover novel sequence: The Black Sun’s Daughter. 8. Dante Valentine, from the series of the same name by Lilith Saintcorw. 9. Selene, the vampire star of the underworld movies. ten. Mercedes Thompson, a werewolf from the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. 11. Jane True, the star selkie of Nicole Peeler’s Jane True series.